Friday, April 15, 2011

Why an "Accidental Environmentalist"?

I ended up being an "environmentalist" by accident; not on purpose, or because "it's the right-thing-to-do"

I use cloth re-usable bags. I make them myself.

"Why not the black, reusable ones sold in the store?"

 Because of the reason I'm an "environmentalist". I am allergic to Plastic. The "Black, Reusable" ones, sold in the store are re-cycled plastic. (They're even worse than the "plain" plastic bags)

"What happens? Why say you're allergic; why not just say you're sensitive?"
Well, "Sensitive" is a Politically Correct word that annoys me to no end. That aside, when I end up in contact with plastic, I welt: that wouldn't be so bad, but 1/2 cm tall welts that are bright red are a bit embarrassing. With the "Black, re-cycled Plastic" bags, they blister me.

If it were "just something in my head" I could probably ignore it; but even my Allergist says it's an actual Allergy.

The fact that it's "the right thing to do" and having " ... fewer plastic bags" is a bonus side effect of being seriously allergic to plastic.

How bad does it get? Depending on a variety of factors (none of which I've figured out, yet), I occasionally require gloves to just grocery shop. So many items are wrapped in plastic.

Are there drawbacks to using Handmade Grocery Bags? Yes: no matter how careful you are, laying a bag on top of what you want in it, or carefully holding back the bags until the item comes that you would like in it; many clerks and baggers attempt to fill the largest bags that you have (the ones that you want bulky, light items packed in) with Canned Goods. Having to re-pack your bags because they're poorly packed isn't much fun. There are always exceptions: there are the checkout clerks and baggers that know how to pack a bag, whether it's a plastic one, or a reusable one, or a Handmade one. I often look to see if those people are on duty when it comes time to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment